10.12.2008

The best part

Ah, the business/pleasure trip to DC. We got down here later in the afternoon on Saturday than we expected, and then our parking spot in the self-park garage was so far from the lobby, which was likewise so far from our room, that it took half of forever to get our stuff to our room and head out for the zoo. Then I headed us in the wrong direction because I felt so sure I knew where we should go. There went another wasted half-hour.

Finally, we arrived at the zoo, and Padraic was so excited to see the animals. And it would've been awesome had the animals actually (a) been visible or (b) if visible been awake. Oh, well. We saw the baby giant panda flat out asleep on his back in the indoor exhibit, and then one of his parents was asleep next door. Totally cute. We saw a few other animals, but nothing too exciting since it was so late in the day.

We also, though, forgot the camera in the truck when we arrived at the hotel, and there was no way we were hiking back there to get it before heading out, so we went to the zoo without it. Ken got some cell-phone pictures of the pandas, but we'll have to see if they are clear enough to really be worth sharing.

Still, we had a good time in the hour or so we were at the zoo, and really the weekend was about family time, not just seeing animals. It was great having all of them with me for the start of this trip. It was awesome coming back to the room between meetings and having my family to enjoy time with, rather than having just an empty room (like I do now).

Sadly, this afternoon my three best guys had to head home since Ken had to get some stuff related to the new gas hookup (yes, they finally hooked us to the gas main last Monday) before the utility company comes tomorrow to connect the meter and get the gas flowing. I miss them like crazy, though the room is a lot more spacious without a rollout bed and pack-n-play. Of course, all the fun toys are gone. No Hotwheels for Mommy. Guess I'll just have to watch real TV shows. It could even have swearing in it, and no one will hear it but me! And I'll sleep in a big X in the middle of the bed.

All those benefits aside, the good news is I was supposed to be here until Wednesday evening, but instead I think I'll head home Tuesday night since I have no appointments on Wednesday after all. Might as well just get back and tuck my little guys into bed one night earlier than I thought I'd get to, right? Cuz the best part about being a traveling mommy is getting back home.

No comments: