3.10.2010

So much happiness packed into one day

Where do I begin? Today was all around an incredible day.

(1) It's my sister's 35th birthday. I mean, 29th birthday. ;) So I got to wish her many happy returns and totally razz her about being halfway to 70. When I turn 34 next month I will only be halfway to 68, which is vastly younger. I also got to have my boys sing "Happy Birthday" to her on her voicemail (since she never answers her cell phone), and it was darn cute. Probably good that she didn't answer because now she has it recorded for many humorous playbacks, complete with the sound of Henry blowing out candles at the end.

(2) This morning my friend Tori welcomed her second son into the world. I got to see a picture, and he is a handsome dude. Having experienced the joys of having two little gentlemen in my life, I know that Tori, her hubby, and her older son have many happy, loud, and interesting days and years ahead of them.

(3) A business trip I had been dreading that was set up for later this year was canceled. CANCELED. Thank God. Call me a wuss, but I don't want to travel to unfamiliar territories alone. I go to many major U.S. cities each year by myself for work, and I make damn sure I don't go out alone after dark, so there is a lot of sticking around hotels. This trip would've been to the southern coast of Mexico via a flight into Mexico City, a connecting flight to a regional airport, and then a decent bus ride to the final destination. Sorry, but I don't feel all that safe traveling like that by myself. I had been wondering how the hell to mention that to my superiors, or whether I even would, and now that situation no longer exists. Whew.

(4) Today was my last day in the office till next Wednesday because we leave on vacation tomorrow night. I'll spend the day running various errands like picking up snacks and sunglasses, bringing the dogs to the kennel, and mailing some packages I wanted to get out earlier this week and didn't manage to. Then we fly to Tampa and drive about an hour to my ILs' second home, which really is my MIL's primary home since she switched residency awhile back.

Our plans while there include going to the Phillies/Twins game at spring training on Saturday, hitting the local zoo, maybe going to the children's museum in St. Pete since Friday is supposed to be rainy, celebrating Mom-Mom's 29th b'day (everyone is turning 29...it's weird), and possibly swimming if I can stand it. Seventy degree air is gonna feel mighty cold when coming out of an 86-degree pool, and I hate to be cold. But for the boys I might be able to suck it up just once.

It'll hopefully be a nice, relaxing vacation, and then we'll return home and have to hit the ground running. Lots of other things going on in March, including a business trip for me and kindergarten registration for Padraic. Exciting times!

No comments: